[linux-audio-user] Finale for Linux

reed stefano.cardo at fastwebnet.it
Thu Jul 8 16:00:51 EDT 2004

At 21.29 08/07/04, you wrote:

>You could contact Daniel James from the Linux
>Consortium, linuxaudio.org, and ask his advice.

I'll do it.

>I would guess that despite an OS X port, there is
>still work to do with porting for Linux and even when
>that's done, there's maintaining that code base. How
>many linux Finale users would we have? Maybe a couple
>dozen. And how many would be required to justify
>porting Finale? Maybe a couple thousand. I don't know
>the real numbers, I'm just preparing to make a point.

I'm sure that a Finale has to be a model for a music editor...

>I'd suggest the Linux Audio User community would be
>better off orgainizing a fund raising activity of some
>type and using the proceeds as contributions towards
>existing projects.

I'm completely agree with you

>It certainly isn't beyound me to wish that a company
>with a high grade product would port to linux.
>However, my feelings for that have changed. My current
>position is, fuck them. This our community, let's keep
>it that way. We need to put leeches on our own hooks.

I believe that application like denemo or noteedit, must grow up!!
The base is good, but there isn't any detail, any way for typesetting the score...

>I am prepared to spend $10.00 or $15.00 towards the
>purchase of something if I know that money will be
>well spent. If a couple hundred of us do that, we'll
>make a hell of a contribution to our favorite project.

My 20.00 $ is ready to send!! I'm not joking..

>The more I think about giving $500.00 U.S. to a closed
>project, the more pissed off I get. I'm tell'n ya, I'm
>turning purple over here. Actually, I just had a
>breakthrough on the drum kit so I'm not very purple.

You are right...

For myself, I'm contributing to translate and give suggestion to the denemo project.
I don't know how many developers knows denemo and how many of them works on it, or are interested in typesetting music editor...

Ste

Stefano Cardo
Debian DeMuDi GNU/Linux User