[linux-audio-user] Note typesetting for Linux

Michal Seta mis at creazone.32k.org
Fri Jul 9 11:52:50 EDT 2004

Well, I must be a different race of a classical musician.  I have been
trained as a classical musician and I've been trained to read the
black dots with beams people call scores.  However, a score is only a
representation of music.  The same music could be represented in
different ways.  As a guitarist I have learnt to play from a guitar
score, piano score, lead sheet, modern guitar tablature and
medieval/rennaissance tablature (of which there were 2 kinds).  These
are all valid representations of musical compositions and they all
have strengths and weaknesses.  Any piece of music (as long as it's
within the traditional 12 tone equal temperament) can be represented
using any of the above methods.  So why not text?  Entering textual
representation of music and following certain _markup_ rules is not
programming.  If it were so, simply scoring should be considered
programming, too.

So I do think it's about work habits and what one is used to.

I have used finale for a few years and found it a major pain.  But I
stopped at version 2000, perhaps it's been transformed, but I
doubt...

I don't think that computer programs should reflect the physical world
we operate in.  Not always anyways, there surely are better ways of
dealing with certain issues.

./MiS

--
	      _