[linux-audio-user] Note typesetting for Linux

Mikhail Ramendik mr at ramendik.ru
Fri Jul 9 11:10:36 EDT 2004

Michal Seta wrote:

> I'm sorry but I don't think Finale or any clone of it should exist in
> linux.  It became a de facto standard because it used to be the only
> decent quality consummer desktop music publishing app.  Just because
> most of linux users/developers come from Windows background does not
> mean we should all go for the same kinds of solutions.  A lot of them
> are bad.  I understand that users have certain work habits so some
> middle ground needs be found... sometimes.

It's not about work habits for me.

I have not been interested in music editing at all until I have married
a musician lady in early 2003. She never did computer music editing too.
And she's the classical kind of musician, preferring acoustic
instruments and such; for her the PC is an editing and typesetting tool
for making scores she will play on a very real piano.

With Finale, she is at ease with her existing skills. She is trained to
think of the score and see the score! But wilh Lilypond and such, she in
effect needs to learn *programming* - a very different thing from what
classical musicians do.

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik