[linux-audio-user] A little scared of Debian, was Fresh PC waiting for basic installation - Advice?

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Fri Jul 9 20:39:20 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 12:36, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> eviltwin69 at cableone.net hat gesagt: // eviltwin69 at cableone.net wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 14:50 , anahata <anahata at treewind.co.uk> sent:
> > >Initially yes. Once it's all working, Debian's the package management
> > >system is far more bullet proof than rpm.
> >
> >     This is why Planet CCRMA uses apt-get for their RadHat distribution.
>
> apt != dpkg !
>
> CCRMA uses apt to check dependencies or rpm packages, which still
> are a bit different from deb packages.

	I simply meant that you didn't have to go and get rpm's.  As far as
dependencies go Planet CCRMA handles all that.  I used to do it brute
force but I really like what Fernando has done with the planet.

> Regarding user friendly installation of Debian: I consider ease of
> installation an very overvalued factor. How often do you install a
> Linux system? This isn't Windows. I installed my main Debian system
> about six or seven or more years ago using Debian 1.2 and a pre-2.x
> kernel. This system has followed me over lots of harddisks, CPUs and
> mainboards and kernels, constantly upgraded with pure dpkg and later
> apt.

	My first install was 0.99 kernel in 1993, no distros at that time -
that was a PITA ;-)  You're right though, unless you're administering
many systems it's a one shot deal.

> Clean package management is much, much more important than ease of
> installation, and Debian simply has the most robust package management
> there is. (Maybe beaten by Gentoo, but I'd like to do other work
> besides compiling, too. ;)

	The planet is just push button so far.  I haven't had any problems
seldom - last time was testing TAP plugins for Tom).  I set up a system
for my drummer so he could use Ardour and it hasn't been online for 6
months.  I went over to his place today because his Windoze box died and
he wanted to put the Linux box online.  Two commands and he was up to
date:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

	I'm not Red Hat centric - I think any distro is probably fine.  It's
just that I am very impressed with the work that Fernando has done with
the planet.  It's the fastest, simplest way to set up a Linux DAW that I
know of.

Jan