[linux-audio-user] Note typesetting for Linux

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sat Jul 10 09:41:41 EDT 2004

Last Friday 09 July 2004 16:10, Mikhail Ramendik was like:
> But wilh Lilypond and such, she in
> effect needs to learn *programming* - a very different thing from what
> classical musicians do.

I disagree that it's so different. I find programming quite similar to the
process of composition, I guess that's why I'm attracted to things like pd,
although I don't really understand it properly yet.

That said, I haven't looked at Lilypond yet for precisely the reason that I
find the concept of learning yet another markup language a bit daunting.
Pointing and clicking on scores isn't so good either. In Rosegarden, I'm
finding that I use the notation to troubleshoot harmonic & rhythmic
misalignments and then go back into the matrix to fix them. For my purposes,
I'm confident that I can create any sheet music I need using Rosegarden,
touching it up with Lilypond if necessary. The important thing is that the
notes are readable, text is aligned correctly and the piece can be realised
accurately using the score as reference. I probably wouldn't consider using
finale even if it _was_ available now.

cheers

tim hall