[linux-audio-user] 24-track setup question

Aaron Trumm aaron at nquit.com
Sun Jul 11 05:18:39 EDT 2004

hopefully you mean the hdsp 9652

I have one - I do 24 tracks routinely - it has yet to be as stable as I want
it though - I've had it running under red hat and under gentoo, using Ardour

under red hat I got it probably 85% stable and then I had a hard drive
failure, moved to gentoo on that box for other reasons, and it took a little
while to get to where it wasn't freezing a lot, which we think is an issue
with the hdsp driver and jack - it still was freezing every so often but I
was working again when I somehow fried my mobo and all my ram ;)  *LAUGH*

from what I was reading and with talking to people on here, it seemed like
perhaps the digiface or multiface was a bit more reliable, again we think
that's a slight issue with the driver, there's been quite a bit of hacking
on that but there are very few of us, apparently, using the actual hsdp 9652
under linux, and I, for one, am not nearly good enough at programming at
this point to contribute to developing the drivers

of course, for me the 9652 was necessary because I need the ADAT light pipe
I/O

stay in contact with me, if you would, about this, because I (having no
money to get other cards or windoze software) am pretty committed to getting
a solid system going with the 9652)

my next set of testing and such will be to see how it goes using ecasound -
I don't know ecasound yet so don't quote me, but I think it doesn't need
Jack, and it's also in the 2.somethings, so in general I'm assuming it's
more stable than ardour - (of course ardour's a different way of doing it,
so I'll still be working at having a stable ardour system)

if you'll remind me I'll let you know how the ecasound experiments go - my
new mobo is supposed to be here on the 13th so that's about when I'll start
putting it back together

- Aaron

ps:
what's the enviroment you're wanting to use it in? (ie: pro live sound, pro
studio, your home studio, etc.?)