[linux-audio-user] A little scared of Debian, was Fresh PC waiting for basic installation - Advice?

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Mon Jul 12 00:51:50 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 01:16, RickTaylor at Speakeasy.Net wrote:
> On 11-Jul-2004 Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> }  On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 09:14, RickTaylor at speakeasy.net wrote:
>
> }  Good god!  The man has lost his mind!!  "joyously AND happily"? ...
>
>  Well... Yes, yes I have.
>
> }  "SLEEP"???  HA!  8~)
> }
> }  'course, I'd like to try a different distro with a light front end and
> }  package based...If Thac gets sick up and fed with building all those MDK
> }  rpm's (big repository of all the latest Linux DAW stuff) I'm basically
> }  screwed because I don't have much luck building stuff on MDK.
> }
> }  Just a side note...It's late, just got home from doing 2 gigs
> }  today...Debugged the crap outta my FX box all week and thought it peachy
> }  stable and it locked up on me toady in the middle of a gig! Ugh!! Oh
> }  well...delayed the start of a set a few minutes but it did come back up.
> }
> } >  {Then again... kpackage looks like it could almost do it out of the box...
> } > reads rpm, deb, whatever kiss is, slackware and bsd packages.
> }
> }  So this has my eyebrow cocked to the north slightly...If I understand
> }  correctly, On a Debian (?) based system, you can run this "kpackage" and
> }  use any of the listed distro packages and not go thru dependency hell??
> }  Or can Kpackage do that on any Linux platform? Like on my Mandrake 10.0
> }  boxes and, I too, may experience "netwide audio joy and happiness"??
> } >
> } > ..."netwide" audio joy and happiness.}
>
>  It works on debian. You can still manage a trip to dependency hell if you use
> severely nonstandard packages but, for the most part, that will be short lived
> and related to that specific package. On Mandrake it would help you manage an
> archive of rpms, help out with updates, etc... It's not apt-enabled for rpms but
> you can always just download stuff. {Which still means that you have to mess
> with some stuff but will help you out considerably.} It really is an excellent
> package manager.
>
> http://docs.kde.org/en/3.2/kdeadmin/kpackage/
>
> Screenshots do a much better job of explaining the functionality of the thing:
>
> http://www.general.uwa.edu.au/u/toivo/kpackage/

You know I've actually used this app. I tried a distro called ELX (?) I
think it was in that as I recall. I didn't dig into it much and did not
know what a Debian or a Soose wus! :)

To be the quintesential dumb bunny again...So on MDK, I would use
Kpackage to install MDK rpm's only? Or could I use .deb or RH or what
ever other packages to install to my MDK system? I know this is a
stretch even as I write it. But I've written it....and what is written
must be ........sent!