[linux-audio-user] Note typesetting for Linux

Michal Seta mis at creazone.32k.org
Tue Jul 13 08:52:45 EDT 2004

ricktaylor at speakeasy.net writes:

>  I think the above methods need to somehow be extended to work with samples. Either that or computer audio needs its own form of musical representation.

That's a good point.  Not only samples, though, synthesis and DSP as
well.  However, there are as many 'scoring' systems as
there are composers.  Stockhousen has actually realized a score for
his 'Studie II' which is an electronic composition for tape.  The
score provides enough information to exactly recreate the work using
an oscillator (or a number of them, I can't recall) and a tape
recording/dubbing machine.  Someone has actually used it to generate
the piece in real-time with Max/MSP.  However, synthesis methods have
evolved in complexity a lot in the past 50 years...

>  Maybe we need to just skip the idea of any sort of representation outside of a song or audio file? If so... maybe we need to break with tradition a bit and make "song" files themselves provide a higher degree of functionality?

Well, must be _the_ reason I started improvising :)  I must have been,
like: ' Ahh... stop trying to write down what you mean.  Just get out there and _play_!'

Also, no notation system is complete.  Not even text.  I'm talking
from a performer's point of view, of course.

./MiS
--
	      _
      __  __ (_)___   Michal Seta