[linux-audio-user] Note typesetting for Linux

ricktaylor at speakeasy.net ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Mon Jul 12 21:43:09 EDT 2004

> From: Michal Seta [mailto:mis at creazone.32k.org]
>
> Well, I must be a different race of a classical musician.  I have been
> trained as a classical musician and I've been trained to read the
> black dots with beams people call scores.  However, a score is only a
> representation of music.  The same music could be represented in
> different ways.  As a guitarist I have learnt to play from a guitar
> score, piano score, lead sheet, modern guitar tablature and
> medieval/rennaissance tablature (of which there were 2 kinds).  These
> are all valid representations of musical compositions and they all
> have strengths and weaknesses.  Any piece of music (as long as it's
> within the traditional 12 tone equal temperament) can be represented
> using any of the above methods.  So why not text?  Entering textual
> representation of music and following certain _markup_ rules is not
> programming.  If it were so, simply scoring should be considered
> programming, too.

 It probably is in csound.

 I think the above methods need to somehow be extended to work with samples. Either that or computer audio needs its own form of musical representation.

 Maybe we need to just skip the idea of any sort of representation outside of a song or audio file? If so... maybe we need to break with tradition a bit and make "song" files themselves provide a higher degree of functionality?

> I don't think that computer programs should reflect the physical world
> we operate in.  Not always anyways, there surely are better ways of
> dealing with certain issues.

 I think they should probably reflect the "reality" they deal with.
 I also think they need an overhaul.