[linux-audio-user] Virtual Mixing Desk

luis jure ljure at multitel.com.uy
Sat Jul 17 17:52:41 EDT 2004

el Sat, 17 Jul 2004 22:30:46 +0100
Chris Cannam <cannam at all-day-breakfast.com> escribió:

> Is it better to operate knobs linearly, or with a rotary mouse motion?

that this question is possible is my main argument _against_ knobs
altogether, because it shows two things: 1) confronted to a knob there's no
way to know in advance how it's going to behave, and 2) whatever solution
you chose is either a) inconsistent or b) awkward.

having said that, let me tell you that i'm not against knobs in particular,
i'm against all these ergonomically flawed and aesthetically kitsch designs,
based on the principle that people want the GUI of a computer program to be
a visual metaphor of a paradigm of the past (and most people _do_ want
that), being that those paradigms were developed for a completely different
medium and they become nonsense when translated to a bunch of colored pixels
on a CRT, like when plastic began to be mass-produced and bread baskets were
made trying to imitate wickerwork, to satisfy the desires of the lower
classes for something "arty"...

like wow, was this a _really strong_ opinion, or what? :-)

now, back to work...

best,

lj