[linux-audio-user] Virtual Mixing Desk

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Sat Jul 17 19:07:20 EDT 2004

On Saturday 17 Jul 2004 10:52 pm, luis jure wrote:
> like wow, was this a _really strong_ opinion, or what? :-)

Oh jeez, I'm getting sucked into this argument again.

The beauty of this, like all the best flamewar material, is that both
sides can be _so right_ and yet _so wrong_.  I can agree with almost
everything you say, and yet disagree with the one reason why you're
saying it -- and that I think is the best basis for the truly
neverending argument.

Everything you say about interfaces built on nostalgia rather than
purpose and familiarity rather than efficiency is all quite true.
But I can say that while still believing (for reasons I'd prefer not
to drag into this argument-about-arguments) that knob controllers are
in some situations the best GUI element readily available, regardless
of anyone's aesthetic view about why they're really being used in the
first place.  If only it were easier to work out what those
situations were.

Chris