[linux-audio-user] Mellotron

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Tue Jul 20 18:38:53 EDT 2004

Ryan wrote:

> It should be really easy to come up with a great mellotron sample set
> (since it's essentially a sampled instrument).  But I think having a
> nice long keypress (4 seconds) would make it much easier.

Hi,
    Just as a point of reference the original Mellotron had 8 second
tapes, I believe. Also, when those tapes ran out there was no loop. You
get to the end of the tape and you just get no more sound. Playing a
Mellotron is an experience in learning to manage this by letting go of
individual keys in a chord and replaying them so that you don't have the
whole chord go away abruptly.

    Anyway, if you create loops from Mellotron samples you're no longer
playing a Mellotron! ;-)

Cheers,
Mark