[linux-audio-user] [OT] good studio monitors

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Thu Jul 22 21:31:54 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 17:27, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 16:04, Florin Andrei wrote:
> >
> > I've heard some people saying that the Adam monitors are the best thing
> > since sliced bread (especially the mid-fields and above, such as the
> > S3A). Quote: "more accurate than most high-end headphones" which i find
> > hard to believe.
>
> They are very good (IMHO). We compared a bunch of speakers for one of
> our spaces at CCRMA (8 speakers in a ring around the listener), using a
> pro cd player connected to a switcher box and then to the speakers
> directly (in the studio, so no noise or external interference), levels
> calibrated to within a db and the S3A's were the best, we ended up
> buying four S3As and four 2s (the lineup included Mackie 824's, Tannoy
> 800A and JBL - can't remember the model, something like 32's - and Adam
> 2 and S3A).

Oh man, i hate you university types. :-)
Where do you get all those funds from, anyway? :-)

Now i'd really like to see that equipment that you guys use. It makes me
drool badly.

> What I mean by imaging is that with the S3As you heard the music, not
> the speakers, if you know what I mean. On everything else the speakers
> were definitely there.

Yeah, i definitely know. That's what i've heard from other sources as
well. They were also (m)uttering something about "perfect accuracy".

But if the price quotes that i've seen are realistic, they're definitely
out of my league. One could buy a sportbike with those money. Or a
second-hand car.

> I have four 824's at home and they are fine, very good the the price (a
> little too much bass), but after listening to the Adams, well... but you
> have to have a fat wallet :-)

Please don't make me sad. :-D

Where did you bought them from? Dave Bryce?

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/