[linux-audio-user] [OT] good studio monitors

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Thu Jul 22 22:10:21 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 18:31, Florin Andrei wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 17:27, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 16:04, Florin Andrei wrote:
> > > I've heard some people saying that the Adam monitors are the best thing
> > > since sliced bread (especially the mid-fields and above, such as the
> > > S3A). Quote: "more accurate than most high-end headphones" which i find
> > > hard to believe.
> >
> > They are very good (IMHO). We compared a bunch of speakers for one of
> > our spaces at CCRMA (8 speakers in a ring around the listener), using a
> > pro cd player connected to a switcher box and then to the speakers
> > directly (in the studio, so no noise or external interference), levels
> > calibrated to within a db and the S3A's were the best, we ended up
> > buying four S3As and four 2s (the lineup included Mackie 824's, Tannoy
> > 800A and JBL - can't remember the model, something like 32's - and Adam
> > 2 and S3A).
>
> Oh man, i hate you university types. :-)

Well, till we finally got those Adams (it took us a long time) we had 8
Ramsas PA speakers with huge old clunky external Yamaha amps...

> Where do you get all those funds from, anyway? :-)

Well, we have a couple of money trees in the yard (not very big), we
just go out when they are ready, climb on ladders and harvest the bigger
notes, we don't bother with the 20's, ha ha ha :-) Funding for anything
is definitely not easy...

> Now i'd really like to see that equipment that you guys use. It makes me
> drool badly.
>
> > What I mean by imaging is that with the S3As you heard the music, not
> > the speakers, if you know what I mean. On everything else the speakers
> > were definitely there.
>
> Yeah, i definitely know. That's what i've heard from other sources as
> well. They were also (m)uttering something about "perfect accuracy".
>
> But if the price quotes that i've seen are realistic, they're definitely
> out of my league.

And of mine. We got those for our main teaching space which also acts as
a small concert space. We wanted the best we could get, but funds were
not unlimited, that's why we did not get eight S3As (there are _always_
more expensive speakers).

> One could buy a sportbike with those money. Or a
> second-hand car.
>
> > I have four 824's at home and they are fine, very good the the price (a
> > little too much bass), but after listening to the Adams, well... but you
> > have to have a fat wallet :-)
>
> Please don't make me sad. :-D

Don't misunderstand me, the Mackies are really good. One odd thing is
that at some point we did some > 20KHz tests and the Mackies had a
_spike_ above 20K... very weird.

-- Fernando