[linux-audio-user] Replacing Alsa driver in 2.6.8 kernel

John Check j4strngs at bitless.net
Thu Jul 29 15:29:24 EDT 2004

On Thursday 29 July 2004 01:05 pm, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>     I wonder if anyone has a pointer to any web instructions on how to
> replace an Alsa driver that has gotten broken in a new kernel release.
> My ATIIXP sound chip has worked fine for months but suddenly it's broken
> in a number of 2.6.7 kernels as well as 2.6.8-rc2. It appears that a
> broken driver was released without testing, if I understand the Alsa Bug
> Tracker correctly. Now there are comments about replacing the driver in
> the kernel with the driver from CVS. I don't know how to do this.
>
>     Sorry for bringing this issue here but I'm hoping to get a simple
> answer before I go join yet another mailing list for a one time event.

Have you eliminated  the possibility that the module options changed?

Updating the driver is pretty straightforward, but what you have to do depends
on what your options are. By that I mean your distro should have sources to
build a package. It saves a little bit of aggravation over upgrading from
tarball (not much, but some).

In a nutshell, you turn off everything under Sound in the kernel cfg except
the very top level module, then build/install the ALSA drivers from the
not-the-kernel-sources. Once thats done you have to configure the module