[linux-audio-user] Replacing Alsa driver in 2.6.8 kernel

Stefan Scheffler stefanscheffler at gmx.net
Fri Jul 30 15:53:17 EDT 2004

Mark Knecht schrieb:

> Hi,
>    I wonder if anyone has a pointer to any web instructions on how to
> replace an Alsa driver that has gotten broken in a new kernel release.
> My ATIIXP sound chip has worked fine for months but suddenly it's
> broken in a number of 2.6.7 kernels as well as 2.6.8-rc2. It appears
> that a broken driver was released without testing, if I understand the
> Alsa Bug Tracker correctly. Now there are comments about replacing the
> driver in the kernel with the driver from CVS. I don't know how to do
> this.

This is how I replace the alsa stuff in the kernel source:

1. checkout the "alsa-kernel" module from the alsa-project cvs. Go to
http://alsa-project.org/download.php for instructions.

2. cd into the kernel tld

3. move  the sound/oss dir to some safe location

4. remove the "sound" directory

5. copy the checked out "alsa-kernel" dir into the kernel tld and rename
it "sound"

6. remove "sound/oss" directory

7. move  the "oss" dir from step 3 back into the "sound" dir

8. remove include/sound

9. move sound/include dir into the include dir.

10. unless I missed something you can now build and install kernel as usual.

hth