[linux-audio-user] Replacing Alsa driver in 2.6.8 kernel

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Fri Jul 30 16:27:13 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 15:53, Stefan Scheffler wrote:
> Mark Knecht schrieb:
>
> > Hi,
> >    I wonder if anyone has a pointer to any web instructions on how to
> > replace an Alsa driver that has gotten broken in a new kernel release.
> > My ATIIXP sound chip has worked fine for months but suddenly it's
> > broken in a number of 2.6.7 kernels as well as 2.6.8-rc2. It appears
> > that a broken driver was released without testing, if I understand the
> > Alsa Bug Tracker correctly. Now there are comments about replacing the
> > driver in the kernel with the driver from CVS. I don't know how to do
> > this.
> >

> This is how I replace the alsa stuff in the kernel source:
>
> 1. checkout the "alsa-kernel" module from the alsa-project cvs. Go to
> http://alsa-project.org/download.php for instructions.
>
> 2. cd into the kernel tld
>
> 3. move  the sound/oss dir to some safe location
>
> 4. remove the "sound" directory
>
> 5. copy the checked out "alsa-kernel" dir into the kernel tld and rename
> it "sound"
>
> 6. remove "sound/oss" directory
>
> 7. move  the "oss" dir from step 3 back into the "sound" dir
>
> 8. remove include/sound
>
> 9. move sound/include dir into the include dir.
>
> 10. unless I missed something you can now build and install kernel as usual.

This is way more complicated than necessary.  You do not need to
recompile or reinstall the kernel to update your ALSA modules.

1. Compile the kernel with these settings:

CONFIG_SOUND=y
# CONFIG_SND is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_PRIME is not set

For menuconfig users that's Sound card support -> Y, ALSA and OSS
support both N.

2. Check out ALSA cvs sources, using 'cvs co .', once your CVSROOT is
set correctly.

3. Run './build prep'.  This generates the ./configure scripts.

4. cd to alsa-driver

5. Run ./configure --with-cards=atiixp, make, make install.

That is all.  You do not have to touch your kernel source tree at all.

Lee