[linux-audio-user] Your synth wishlist?

Rob lau at kudla.org
Thu Jul 29 23:29:04 EDT 2004

On Thursday 29 July 2004 18:26, Dave Robillard wrote:
> So, what features are important to you in a synth?  What
> annoys you about the current crop of linux synths?

I would really like an *easy* and *intuitive* way to map
arbitrary MIDI controllers to various functions, filters,
whatever... I have this PCR-30 with 8 knobs, 8 sliders and a
joystick and would really like to be able to do something with
all that twiddly goodness that i can tweak while actually
playing rather than stopping, editing a config file or whatever.

Something like a "Map a controller..." menu option that then
listens for a MIDI controller producing a lot of data and then
asks you to click on the filter or whatever that you want to map
it to, that'd be nice.  Maybe that's out there in some linux
sound app I haven't tried yet, but I haven't yet gotten to the
point where I can play a jackified synth from my keyboard for
any length of time without the whole thing crashing, so I guess
"not throwing a segv every 5 minutes" would be a nice feature to
have too ;)

Rob