[linux-audio-user] gnome-terminal performance

Chris Pickett chris.pickett at mail.mcgill.ca
Sat Jul 31 15:30:23 EDT 2004

Florin Andrei wrote:
> What do you guys think about this thread?
>
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-list/2004-July/thread.html#00071
>
> Am i crazy? Am i the only one who thinks that the current incarnation of
> gnome-terminal is slow and a resource hog?

No.  I recently tried just about every terminal I could get my hands on,
and settled on using aterm like this:

aterm -bg black -fg white +sb -tr -sh 15 -sl 10000 -si -sk -fn 8x13 -ls
-geometry 80x36

and I have room for four of them at once not overlapping.  I find that
8x13 and 9x15 are the most readable console fonts.  Anti-aliasing just
sucks in a terminal anyway (which is all that aterm cannot do), as much
as I like bitstream vera, and gnome-terminal's scrolling is atrocious
(previous versions don't seem to have this problem).  I guess aa is okay
for black text on a white background, but I like a black
semi-transparent background.

Cheers,
Chris