[linux-audio-user] Re: Re: [Consortium] Re: [a-users] New Linux forum on Sound on Sound site

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Jun 16 16:22:31 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 02:28:29PM -0400, Them wrote:
> Pete Bessman wrote:
>
> >On technical merits I think it's mostly a matter of personal
> >preference, but I think a forum is objectively more amenable to a
> >casual reader than mailing lists en masse.
>
> For things like user support issues, an online forum (or a well-threaded
> mailing list archive) is definitely the way to go.  For developers,
> though, where casual reading and serendipitous support needs are not as
> important, I think a mailing list works better, especially for things
> like sharing patches and CVS commit updates.

My other concern with forums is that you have no access to archives
if the site goes down. With mailing lists, there tend to be copies all
over the place... if a server crash eats an archive, users can usually be
found who have local archives.

I wouldn't want to see anything like this happen to lad / lau:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/06/15/2354258&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=95

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com