[linux-audio-user] Re: Re: [Consortium] Re: [a-users] New Linux forum on Sound on Sound site

RickTaylor at Speakeasy.Net RickTaylor at Speakeasy.Net
Sat Jun 19 00:33:41 EDT 2004

On 16-Jun-2004 Christian Frisson wrote:
}  The email notification function on the forums I'm suscribed to supersedes my
}  erasable memory: each time the thread I've been posting to gets an update, I
}  receive a link that leads me directly to the first unseen message, with the
}  previous just above!

 I generally filter these to dev/null... I'm not quite sure why I click that
option in the first place.

}  I must admit the only use I find in the mailing-lists' batched daily digests
}  having a look at the threads having been refreshed: I can't then do anything
}  else but browsing  the archive, unless it's more like a crowd cross-talking
}  upside-down!

 Don't subscribe to the digests.

}  Some other arguments in favour of forums?
}
}  - sorted by folders... while here all hardware, installation or general
}  issues are muddled up.

 Filters.

}  - no need to lose archival space with infinite quotations, but still the
}  abilty to quote short sections when needed!

 It's just text... you can actually strip it in some programs. {turn it off in
others.}

}  - advanced writing capabilities: not that I'd hate ASCII art, but using
}  underlined or bold words, ordered (or not) lists, enhances the ideas
}  exchange, so that the reader can oversee faster the issue. (But lose those
} ugly emoticons please! ,-)

 *Whatever* shows up as bold in a lot of readers. Text smileys show up as
graphics in gnus. gnus will let you define your own emoticons. Gnus is really
pretty graphic... you just have to set the right settings.

}  - less dependent of the user's client: it seems that each time someone here
}  has
}  a signature beginning with 2 dashes "--" followed by a carriage return, my
}  email
}  client (online ISP built-in Horde IMP) can't understand it correctly and
}  "shadows" all the following messages! (Plain text, not HTML-enabled) And
}  this
}  client definitely cannot respect the thread tree... When it comes to forums,
}  Once php is supported, browsers won't groan!

 If folk would stop using nonsense in their headers mailers wouldn't groan.

}  - rewritable media: writing long messages (like now) compells me to use a
}  notepad to avoid failure whenever the email session expires. (I don't like
}  using
}  hard-drive installed email clients due to the many times I'm not at home.)
}  On
}  forums, I can store the message temporarly by previewing it, without rushing
}  on
}  the keyboard; and correct my mistakes after the first "official draft".
}
}  - browsing a user's profile to find all the threads he's created or fed,
}  when you know you're usually reflecting yourself on his words.

 You can set up your own database, do a whois, search archives online, search
at gooogle, etc, etc...

}  Enough said...
}
}  What's the best of both worlds then?