[linux-audio-user] Reading/playing a "copy protected" CD : Reed-Solomon correction?

lee lee at fallingforward.net
Sun Jun 27 12:40:40 EDT 2004

Sampo Savolainen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You can probably play/rip it with cdparanoia 'enhanced' software. Your
> first and best tool for recovering data from copy protected or otherwise
> broken (so-called) CDs is to use the command line cdparanoia.
>
> "man cdparanoia" for details

A friend of mine passed me one of these last week. The copy protection
somehow makes it impossible for a CD-ROM drive to even recognize there's
a disc in the drive. Regardless of OS or software used to copy audio, it
acts as if there's no disc present.

I've heard black magic marker can be drawn on certain areas to
"undamage" the disc. I haven't done any reading on the subject but I'm
sure google has some advice.

-lee