[linux-audio-user] Reading/playing a "copy protected" CD : Reed-Solomon correction?

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Sun Jun 27 16:46:41 EDT 2004

Hi,

The black magic marker fix works only for one type of copy protection.

I have tested ripping many copy protected CDs and cdparanoia + my drive
(DRU-510a) works wonders on most. Sometimes I have to re-insert the cd a
few times before it worked. Some times cdparanoia reads the start of the
disc (about a minute worth of playing time) VERY slowly, but after that
everything is dandy. I've come over a few discs where the first track is
unrippable (or I wasn't patient enough), but all others come out very
easily.

All in all. The "copy protection" schemes are quite ineffective.
Especially when cdparanoia is not created for protected CDs, just
defective ones.. But I guess that is just poetic justice. :)

  Sampo