[linux-audio-user] JACK with two SBLives!

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Wed Mar 3 05:15:29 EST 2004

On 3 Mar 2004, Petr Sumbera wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to use JACKD with two SBLives! soundcards in Surround40
> mode (8 output channels and 4 input channels). I have seen on internet
> examples of "alsa.conf" how to use SBLive! in Surround40 mode and
> also how to use two normal sound cards for jack.
>
> Problem is that I am new to this problematic and I have no idea how to
> achieve my desires. Can you please help me with this? I hope it is
> possible.

this is not possible. the problem is that the oscillators that drive the
two cards will not be 100 per cent in sync. one will gradually fall
behind the other. it will not be immediately obvious, because there are
buffers, but once the timing difference between the cards exceeds the
buffer size, jackd will likely crash.

in general, the only cards that can be used this way are those with an
external sync in, such as word clock.

regards,

joern