[linux-audio-user] drum loops, samples,

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Wed Mar 3 07:10:27 EST 2004

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 5:26 am, R Parker wrote:
> --- tim hall <tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk> wrote:

> > Unless your name is Brian Wilson or George Martin
>
> And how about the talent that Wilson was working with.
> I was never really into their songs but the talent was
> insane. If Wilson was here now, I'd have to fight him.
>
> :)

Man, you should hear the talent that Wilson is working with now. You will have
to fight him :-) He's been touring his legendary unreleased masterpiece SMiLE
- the album that should have carried 'good vibrations' et al. 'Pet Sounds' is
also highly recommended. You don't have to like the music to appreciate the
ridiculous things he got away with as a producer / engineer.

> I guess the key to this type of thinking is to really
> feel the groove. For example, if the drum kit beat and
> conga track combined create a swing, maybe a reverse
> gated verb on the snare can be timed to open wide and
> stay open right to the conga swing note. The idea
> being to exagerate the relationship and emphasize the
> swing.
>
> It's hard for me to articulate what I'm trying to
> describe. Maybe it doesn't make sense. :)

Makes perfect sense to me and it's a useful new perspective. Thanks.

>  and possibly leave the bv's
>
> > dry BMW style.
>
> Decisions like this might go beyound the "foundation"
> and perhaps be dictated bye each song's requirements.

Yes, absolutely.

> Well, it seems we've dropped your egg into boiling
> water. Hey, I love all the topics you introduced.
> Great stuff! Now I want to go listen to some Brian
> Wilson productions.

Well, I'll have it any way but poached :-)
Thanks for your comments, that's really set me thinking.
Time to read up on some plugin docs now. :~)

cheers

tim hall