[linux-audio-user] Good Sound Card for Pro Multitracking

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Mon Mar 8 16:25:39 EST 2004

Steve Harris wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 11:29:58 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>>Higher end I'd look at maybe a Hammerfall Light (Digi9636) With an ADI-8
>>Pro maybe. Good sound. Please double check that the ADI-8 Pro stills
>>supports the full 8 channels at 96KHz. It has enough ADAT interfaces to
>>do this but I'm finding the web page lacking on this fact.
>

> FWIW I'd go with a 96k capable card, eg. hammerfall light, and 48k
> converters for now and upgrade to 96k later when the price comes down.

I use my Hammerfall Light with an Alesis AI-3. It works very well,
although I think there are less expensive 8/8 converters out there now.

You have the same card Steve? What converters are you using?

> With decent 48k converters I've never had any shortage of high-end,
> especially for live recordings.

I agree, but my new Pro Tools stuff jsut sounds a bit smoother, warmer,
more full when operating in 96K mode. Better clocking, for sure, but I
assume the extra samples can't hurt...