[linux-audio-user] Good Sound Card for Pro Multitracking

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Mar 9 04:25:12 EST 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 01:25:39 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> >FWIW I'd go with a 96k capable card, eg. hammerfall light, and 48k
> >converters for now and upgrade to 96k later when the price comes down.
>
> I use my Hammerfall Light with an Alesis AI-3. It works very well,
> although I think there are less expensive 8/8 converters out there now.
>
> You have the same card Steve? What converters are you using?

I'm using the converters in my desk (01v).

> >With decent 48k converters I've never had any shortage of high-end,
> >especially for live recordings.
>
> I agree, but my new Pro Tools stuff jsut sounds a bit smoother, warmer,
> more full when operating in 96K mode. Better clocking, for sure, but I
> assume the extra samples can't hurt...

Probably not. You might find that you get worse results by buying bottom
of the range 96k converters, v's mid range 48k converters (the quaility of
the filters and so on is is probably important).

I wouldn't be supprised if a some of the difference between the Pro Tools
converters and the Alesis ones was in the quality of the analogue stuff.

- Steve