[linux-audio-user] Good Sound Card for Pro Multitracking

Mr. Spock spock at canopus22.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 8 16:39:52 EST 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 11:29:58AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Polashek, Matthew wrote:
> >I would simply prefer to be able to hit 96K. [...]
>
> OK. Well, 8-10 inputs of 96K A/D is going to cost you, but I'd guess
> your best bet under Linux is probably an RME card of some type, with one
> of their external 96KHz D/As.
>
> Look into the RME HDSP line. The low end of what might work for you
> would be the HDSP MultiFace. I think the drivers for that work pretty well.

The Multiface is 96K but I think is limited to 8 channels, whereas
the Digiface does 24 @ 48K, and I presume 12 @ 96K, if you bring your own
convertors.

> Higher end I'd look at maybe a Hammerfall Light (Digi9636) With an ADI-8
> Pro maybe. Good sound. Please double check that the ADI-8 Pro stills
> supports the full 8 channels at 96KHz. It has enough ADAT interfaces to
> do this but I'm finding the web page lacking on this fact.

IIRC the ADI-8 Pro runs at 48K, although, yes, the web page seems
not mention this (I think I read the manual once); to go at 96K you
need the Double Speed ADI-8DS:

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/adi/adi8ds.htm

This uses two ADAT cables each sending 4 channels at 96K. Neither of
these units are cheap though, and do have lots of other features you
may not need such as TDIF.

Good hunting!
Malcolm Smith