[linux-audio-user] Good Sound Card for Pro Multitracking

Mr. Spock spock at canopus22.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 10 18:27:45 EST 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 09:39:52PM +0000, Mr. Spock wrote:
> The Multiface is 96K but I think is limited to 8 channels, whereas
> the Digiface does 24 @ 48K, and I presume 12 @ 96K, if you bring your own
> convertors.

Oops, just for the record, maybe I was mistaken about the Multiface,
after re-reading this:

 HOWTO: Using the Hammerfall HDSP on Linux
 Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 by Peter Todd

 "The Multiface offers eight channels of analog I/O and digital SPDIF,
  as well as ADAT in and out for a total of 20 channels of 24bit/96kHz
  audio. The Digiface offers three ADAT in and outs and SPDIF for a
  total of 26 channels."

So maybe the Multiface can do eight 24/96 channels using the internal
A/D+D/A *plus* four more 24/96 channels using the ADAT ports to/from
a double-speed external convertor such as the ADI-8DS:

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/adi/adi8ds.htm
http://www.rme-audio.com/english/hdsp/multifa.htm
http://www.rme-audio.com/english/hdsp/digifa.htm

However, there is only one ADAT in and out on the Mutliface, unlike
the Digiface's three ins and three outs, so I'm confused as to how
Peter came up with 20 x 24/96.

Hmm?
Malc