[linux-audio-user] Good Sound Card for Pro Multitracking

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Wed Mar 10 18:39:49 EST 2004

Mr. Spock wrote on Wed, 10-Mar-2004:

 > On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 09:39:52PM +0000, Mr. Spock wrote:
 > > The Multiface is 96K but I think is limited to 8 channels, whereas
 > > the Digiface does 24 @ 48K, and I presume 12 @ 96K, if you bring your own
 > > convertors.
 > >
 > Oops, just for the record, maybe I was mistaken about the Multiface,
 > after re-reading this:
 >
 >  HOWTO: Using the Hammerfall HDSP on Linux
 >  Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 by Peter Todd
 >  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7024
 >
 >  "The Multiface offers eight channels of analog I/O and digital SPDIF,
 >   as well as ADAT in and out for a total of 20 channels of 24bit/96kHz
 >   audio. The Digiface offers three ADAT in and outs and SPDIF for a
 >   total of 26 channels."
 >
 > So maybe the Multiface can do eight 24/96 channels using the internal
 > A/D+D/A *plus* four more 24/96 channels using the ADAT ports to/from
 > a double-speed external convertor such as the ADI-8DS:

This is correct.  The multiface can do 8 i/o at 96k with the internal
converters plus an additional 4 (via smux adat) at 96k.  At lower
sample rates it will do 8 channels on the ADAT ports.  The SPDIF adds
another 2 channels of digital i/o (not sure if that goes up
to 96k or not... i guess it does by the advertising).

jlc