[linux-audio-user] Good Sound Card for Pro Multitracking

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Wed Mar 10 19:00:21 EST 2004

Jesse Chappell wrote:
> Mr. Spock wrote on Wed, 10-Mar-2004:
>
>  > On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 09:39:52PM +0000, Mr. Spock wrote:
>  > > The Multiface is 96K but I think is limited to 8 channels, whereas
>  > > the Digiface does 24 @ 48K, and I presume 12 @ 96K, if you bring your own
>  > > convertors.
>  > >
>  > Oops, just for the record, maybe I was mistaken about the Multiface,
>  > after re-reading this:
>  >
>  >  HOWTO: Using the Hammerfall HDSP on Linux
>  >  Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 by Peter Todd
>  >  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7024
>  >
>  >  "The Multiface offers eight channels of analog I/O and digital SPDIF,
>  >   as well as ADAT in and out for a total of 20 channels of 24bit/96kHz
>  >   audio. The Digiface offers three ADAT in and outs and SPDIF for a
>  >   total of 26 channels."
>  >
>  > So maybe the Multiface can do eight 24/96 channels using the internal
>  > A/D+D/A *plus* four more 24/96 channels using the ADAT ports to/from
>  > a double-speed external convertor such as the ADI-8DS:
>
> This is correct.  The multiface can do 8 i/o at 96k with the internal
> converters plus an additional 4 (via smux adat) at 96k.  At lower
> sample rates it will do 8 channels on the ADAT ports.  The SPDIF adds
> another 2 channels of digital i/o (not sure if that goes up
> to 96k or not... i guess it does by the advertising).
>
> jlc

Isn't 8+4+2 == 14 channels at 96K?

Vs. 8+8+2 == 18 channels at 96K?

You then *maybe* get 2 more outputs using the headphone output if it is
addressed seprately, but there's no corresponding input, so at 96K it
looks like 16 out, 14 in with the right converters hooked to ADAT.

My DigiDesign 002 Rack is pretty much a duplicate of the Multiface
except it doesn't support the ADAT interface at 96K at all, to I only
get 10 in, 10 out. My headphoens are always a copy of the Master Output.