[linux-audio-user] Good Sound Card for Pro Multitracking

Mr. Spock spock at canopus22.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 10 19:26:15 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 04:00:21PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Jesse Chappell wrote:
> >Mr. Spock wrote on Wed, 10-Mar-2004:
> > > Oops, just for the record, maybe I was mistaken about the Multiface,
> > > after re-reading this:
> > >
> > >  HOWTO: Using the Hammerfall HDSP on Linux
> > >  Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 by Peter Todd
> > >  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7024
> > >
> > >  "The Multiface offers eight channels of analog I/O and digital SPDIF,
> > >   as well as ADAT in and out for a total of 20 channels of 24bit/96kHz
> > >   audio. The Digiface offers three ADAT in and outs and SPDIF for a
> > >   total of 26 channels."
> > >
> > > So maybe the Multiface can do eight 24/96 channels using the internal
> > > A/D+D/A *plus* four more 24/96 channels using the ADAT ports to/from
> > > a double-speed external convertor such as the ADI-8DS:
> >
> >This is correct.  The multiface can do 8 i/o at 96k with the internal
> >converters plus an additional 4 (via smux adat) at 96k.  At lower
> >sample rates it will do 8 channels on the ADAT ports.  The SPDIF adds
> >another 2 channels of digital i/o (not sure if that goes up
> >to 96k or not... i guess it does by the advertising).
> >
> >jlc
> >
> Isn't 8+4+2 == 14 channels at 96K?

I didn't think S/PDIF was capable of 96K, but it would be nice :)
At least I'd be able to get/send 96K in stereo to/from other gear,
to see what I'm missing in 48K Land.

> Vs. 8+8+2 == 18 channels at 96K?

??? If you're meaning the Digiface here, wouldn't it also be
8+4+2 == 14, because for every 8 channels at 96K, you need a
*pair* of ADAT i/o; the Digi only has three.

> You then *maybe* get 2 more outputs using the headphone output if it is

BTW, does the headphone socket work? I seem to remember Paul Davis
saying (when he first wrote the driver) that the only things not
supported (yet) were the headphone/line out socket and the LEDs.

Goodnight,
Malc