[linux-audio-user] ppc audio input..

dmotd inaudible at dart.net.au
Fri Mar 12 00:00:50 EST 2004

hey!

 i'm new to this list, so hello to all out there, excuse my
 overzealousness as i immediately launch into a question!

 i'm a fairly experienced linux user but this one has me baffled.. i
 have linux installed onto an old blue+white g3, and not the first
 time either, this is a fresh install of gentoo, in the past i've
 run with the old stable 2.2kernel debian systems which worked
 fine...  but this install is a little different, i have decided to
 run the g3 dual boot with macos9 *shock horror*, and to my surprise
 i have now lost the ability to get any sound input..

 i'm using the g3 internal soundcard (chip=burgandy) with both the
 oss-lite and alsa drivers.. neither driver has improved the
 situation..  for a bit of clarity, no sound is passed through the
 chip, and capture/recording doesn't work for any of the inputs, in
 fact in alsa there are no capture devices available at all and an
 inspection of '/proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/sub0/status' reveals the
 unfortunate message 'closed'..

 on the flipside, os9 has no problems with sound input, which leads
 me to suspect that it has control of an internal setting that linux
 does not..  i have tried reseting the PRAM, which supposedly resets
 macs internal settings to the factory default but this does very
 little to solve my problem.  considering i use linux for 99% of my
 audio computing this problem is just a little bit frustrating..

 can anyone shed some light, or perhaps tell me who to politely
 abuse!  btw, i tried alsa-user-list but my msg is trapped in the
 moderation blackhole...

	i am running kernels: 2.4.22 & 2.6.3
	i have alsa 0.9.7 & 1.0.2
	sound *output* works fine!