[linux-audio-user] latency

Benjamin Flaming lau at solobanjo.com
Fri Mar 12 12:04:21 EST 2004

On Friday 12 March 2004 09:23 am, Polashek, Matthew wrote:
> hmm.. excellent.  I am thinking of mixing onstage monitors and PA while
> recording.  At what latency do you think the delay would become noticeable?

     Unfortunately, things can get ugly very quickly :(  Even a tiny bit of
delay from a dedicated commercial A/D->DSP->D/A unit can induce subtle but
unpleasant comb filtering, making everything sound "not quite right".  This
is much more of an issue with the monitors than it is with the mains.  If you
can, I'd advise mixing the mains with Ardour, and the monitors with an analog
mixer.  This is what I hope to do, if I ever get a more portable computer ;)