[linux-audio-user] External DAC for mastering use?

Anahata anahata at treewind.co.uk
Thu Mar 18 05:34:10 EST 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:51:57AM +0000, Daniel James wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm setting up a system to use for mastering stereo output with Jamin
> (I have a lot to learn...)
>
> Has anyone tried using a motherboard S/PDIF output with an external
> DAC designed for hi-fi use, such as a Musical Fidelity unit?
>
> I'm guessing that the analogue hardware would be much better than you
> find on a typical PCI card

I would think so too.

>, but the limitations would be that the
> system would have no analogue input, and would probably be limited to
> 44.1/16 bit, since these units were designed for CD players.

I don't see 44.1/16 as a problem unless the final product is going to
have a higher resolution than that. If you are mastering for eventual
CD-Audio, monitoring the exact digits that will go to the final product
seems an eminently sensible idea :-)

I don't understand the "no analogue input" restriction - are you
simply saying that because you aren't bothering to fit a sound card
there won't be any analogue input? I doubt if you'll need one. What
input are you using - S/PDIF in, or audio files accessed over LAN?

--
Anahata
anahata at treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444