[linux-audio-user] External DAC for mastering use?

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Thu Mar 18 04:51:57 EST 2004

Hello all,

I'm setting up a system to use for mastering stereo output with Jamin
(I have a lot to learn...)

Has anyone tried using a motherboard S/PDIF output with an external
DAC designed for hi-fi use, such as a Musical Fidelity unit?

I'm guessing that the analogue hardware would be much better than you
find on a typical PCI card, but the limitations would be that the
system would have no analogue input, and would probably be limited to
44.1/16 bit, since these units were designed for CD players.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Daniel