[linux-audio-user] External DAC for mastering use?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Mar 18 10:48:13 EST 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 07:30:44AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Yeah. See part of my thought is that I *want* to master at 24-bit, get
> things right with EQ and compression, then add dithering and make sure
> it doesn't mess things up. To do that last step I want to go back and
> forth between 24-bit and 16-bit dithered, most especially on fade outs
> and in quiet passages, etc. I don't see how Daniel could do this with
> the setup he's proposing.

Yeah, my initial feeling is that JAMin should offer to dither, so you can
control it centrally before JACK gets it hands on it, and be sure the
recording will be an accurate reflection of what you hear.

I gues the most JACKy thing would be an external client that just does
dithering.

> What he could do is choose different dithering algorhythms and compare
> how each sounded, which is important, but if they *all* mess things up
> he won't know that.

Yes.

> Dithering is a really interesting issue. One a few things I've done it's
> been important. On many type of source material it seems to make little
> or no difference. Much to learn. Bob Katz's book has some really
> interesting sections on this subject. If you don't do everything right
> in front of the dither, then dithering will make no difference at all.

Yeah, I really need to read that Katz book. So little time :(

- Steve