[linux-audio-user] External DAC for mastering use?

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Thu Mar 18 11:12:40 EST 2004

Steve Harris wrote:

> Yeah, my initial feeling is that JAMin should offer to dither, so you can
> control it centrally before JACK gets it hands on it, and be sure the
> recording will be an accurate reflection of what you hear.

I agree. I've never thought the dither option in Jack made sense to me.
Jack should be a patch bay, not a processor. Too many options for mistakes.

Since I still do all my final mixes in Pro Tools, I'll note that the
Waves L2 UltraMaximixer offers dithering to different bit lengths (24,
20, 18, 16 and 8 I think) as well a few options for changing the dither
type and noise shaping.

Jamin should consider this sort of support when you feel it appropriate.

You *might* consider having 2 outputs from Jamin - dithered and
undithered - so that possibly you could A/B the two. Please time align
the two if you ever do add an option like this.

- Mark