[linux-audio-user] Apple Lossless codec

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki eric at zhevny.com
Tue May 11 22:01:56 EDT 2004

Conrad Parker wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 07:27:03AM +1000, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>>>Is it mean that libsndfile will have FLAC support in the near future ?
>>It does if you're volunteering to do it :-).
>>Thats only a half smilie, because the coming Ogg support in libsndfile
>>is almost totally the work of Conrad Parker.
> FLAC and Ogg/FLAC are different formats -- native FLAC uses its own
> encapsulation rather than Ogg. libsndfile [post 1.0.11] will automagically
> get Ogg/FLAC support after libfishsound gets [lib]FLAC support. Native
> FLAC support in libsndfile will require a new flac format handler (which,
> incidentally, will be very similar code to the fishsound handler).
> If any of that paragraph made sense to you, and you'd like to help Erik
> and I with developing FLAC support, please get in touch :)

I would very much like to be able to record and read ogg/vorbis and
ogg/flac files in ecasound[0]. I'm not an experienced coder, but I can
read C/C++ (at least a little ... ) and I am an experienced sysadmin, so
I can help test and debug. Let me know what I can do to help.

-Eric Rz.

[0] I know ecasound already does ogg/vorbis via vorbize/ogg123, but it
seems to me it would be better to use the file formats via libsndfile
rather than piping data to separate encoder/decoder programs.