[linux-audio-user] Apple Lossless codec

Malcolm Baldridge linux-audio at paypc.com
Wed May 12 06:29:08 EDT 2004

> I would very much like to be able to record and read ogg/vorbis and
> ogg/flac files in ecasound[0]. I'm not an experienced coder, but I can
> read C/C++ (at least a little ... ) and I am an experienced sysadmin, so

While reading Ogg/FLAC is sensible, "recording to" FLAC is not sensible
since it will induce potential bottlenecks and delays which may cause your
recording latency to the exceed a reasonable level.  It's not trivial to
compress audio data losslessly, and I highly doubt any commercial audio
product records to a compressed format NATIVELY and on the fly, as opposed
to an operation that occurs after the real-time nature of recording is
completed.  FLAC might squeeze 2:1, but the CPU cost is disproportionate to
the I/O costs of storing the audio uncompressed.

As far as reading/writing Ogg/FLAC files for processing, etc, that's another
matter entirely.  ecasound (whatever that is) should be able to read/write
those during non-real-time operations.

Even the Lord Elrond is attuned to Quality in the Darkest Hours,

=MB=
--
A focus on Quality.