[linux-audio-user] Problem recording 24/7

H. T. Hind hirh at comcast.net
Thu May 20 13:16:12 EDT 2004

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 12:57:18AM -0700, Malcolm Baldridge wrote:
> > Hmm, resources doesn't seem to be the problem. The system has 512
> > MB ram, 1 GB Swap and is running a 2400 Athlon . When ecasound
> > and Jack are running the system is idle 95% and when lame is
> > running , the system is 15-20% idle.
>
> Your problem is something pathological, then.  I have 1/2 your RAM, and 1/3
> your overall vm+physical memory, and probably about 2/3rds of your
> processor, especially since I use PC133 while you're invariably using DDR.

> You didn't answer any of my questions about your setup -- is there a need to
> run jack + ecasound + the python stuff, or would a "clean" jack-only
> recording module be acceptable to you?

While researching multi-channel recorders, only a couple stood
out, ardour and ecasound. Ecasound doesn't support the option of
writing to different files every N minutes. I need this as
otherwise the wav files become too huge. I currently write out 1
hour wav files and start an encoding process which compresses it
to 64 Kbps mp3 file.

To answer your question, a "clean" jack-only module would be
acceptable , provided it meets my requirements.

> I've written a very stable + reliable multi-process/multi-threaded recording
> tool which runs 24x7x52 to log two phonelines' audio for legal archiving
> purposes.  [You can't imagine how enraged most call-centre droids are when
> you inform them that THEIR call is being "monitored for Quality purposes".]

I'd happy to take a look at it and see how it works. My selection
of ecasound is based on its good documentation, stability and
extendability.

hth