[linux-audio-user] Problem recording 24/7

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Fri May 21 04:21:40 EDT 2004

> Ecasound doesn't support the option of
> writing to different files every N minutes.

You could try using the -t flag (time in seconds) to record for a
fixed duration of one hour, then start another ecasound process with
your script.

> I need this as
> otherwise the wav files become too huge. I currently write out 1
> hour wav files and start an encoding process which compresses it
> to 64 Kbps mp3 file.

I've used ecasound to encode to Vorbis on the fly, like this, I
recall:

ecasound -i:/dev/dsp -o:somefile.ogg -z:intbuf -z:db -r -t:3600

>From the manpage:

'-z:db,dbsize' enables double-buffering for audio objects that support
it (dbsize=0 for default, otherwise buffer size in sample frames).

'-z:intbuf' and '-z:nointbuf' control whether extra internal buffering
is allowed for realtime devices.

-r:sched_priority
 Use realtime scheduling policy.

Cheers