[linux-audio-user] Timemachine file playback problems

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Mon May 24 04:40:51 EDT 2004

On Sun, 23 May 2004 17:50:46 -0700
Jos Laake <jos at radiks.net> wrote:

> Okay, this was good information.  I loaded the file into
> 'Audacity' and hey, whaddya know!  It's totally valid there
> and sounds just fine.  So, that's a big help.  That tells
> me my snippets *are* getting collected.  Cool.
>
> Still, that brings up a couple of questions to toss out to
> the list:
>
> 1) Whassup with 'alsaplayer' & 'xmms' that they're not getting
> these .w64 files read in properly?

We still don't know if they are actually using libsndfile or their
own native code. In xmms, it is pssouble to disable the xmms native
WAV reader so that may be worth a try.

>  If they're using 'libsndfile'
> (and 'alsaplayer' even sez right on the 'faceplate' that it is)

They still might not be using libsndfile correctly. I know of at
least one bug in xmms_sndfile that i haven't had a chance to
fix yet.

> why can't they play them when 'Sweep' and 'Audacity' (also using
> 'libsndfile') can play them just fine?
>
> 2) Why is 'timemachine' saving it's recordings in this unpopular
> file format?

My guess is that they would like to be able to write files larger
than 4Gigabytes which is the theoretical limit of WAV files. In
addition, many WAV file readers incorrectly refuse to read WAV
files larger than 2Gig.

> And why does it call them '.wav' files if they're
> really '.w64' files?

You need to ask the authors of timemachine :-).

> Is it possible to get 'timemachine' to save
> out plain ol' '.wav' files so I can preview them without shutting
> down JACK to load 'Audacity'?

I think Sweep has preliminary jack support (might need patches)
which might solve that problem.

> Heaps of thanks to Erik de Castro Lopo!

Damn, I really should get myself a paypal account :-).

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam at mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
A good debugger is no substitue for a good test suite.