[linux-audio-user] Timemachine file playback problems

Jos Laake jos at radiks.net
Sun May 23 20:50:46 EDT 2004

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> On Sun, 23 May 2004 04:02:55 -0700
> Jos Laake <jos at radiks.net> wrote:
>

>>http://www.josmusic.com/splut/tm-mikriff.wav
>

> If you want me to look at a file I would appreciate it if you
> could keep the file to 500k of less.

Sorry, I'll keep that in mind.

> Both xmma and alsaplayer are probably using their own WAV loading
> code and only using libsndfile for the W64 stuff. If thats the
> case, the WAV code can be wrong, but the W64 stuff wrong.
 >
> The file loads into Sweep without a problem:
>
>     http://www.mega-nerd.com/tmp/tm-mikriff.png
>
> and also plays without a problem. Sweep uses libsndfile for WAV
> and W64.

Okay, this was good information.  I loaded the file into
'Audacity' and hey, whaddya know!  It's totally valid there
and sounds just fine.  So, that's a big help.  That tells
me my snippets *are* getting collected.  Cool.

Still, that brings up a couple of questions to toss out to
the list:

1) Whassup with 'alsaplayer' & 'xmms' that they're not getting
these .w64 files read in properly?  If they're using 'libsndfile'
(and 'alsaplayer' even sez right on the 'faceplate' that it is)
why can't they play them when 'Sweep' and 'Audacity' (also using
'libsndfile') can play them just fine?

2) Why is 'timemachine' saving it's recordings in this unpopular
file format?  And why does it call them '.wav' files if they're
really '.w64' files?  Is it possible to get 'timemachine' to save
out plain ol' '.wav' files so I can preview them without shutting
down JACK to load 'Audacity'?

Just questions.  No pressure. ;-)

Heaps of thanks to Erik de Castro Lopo!

~Jos~