[linux-audio-user] Steinberg The Grand

Carl Hetherington lists at carlh.net
Mon May 24 09:22:32 EDT 2004

[snip]

> > >Has anyone had any luck running Steinberg's The Grand under vstserver?
> > >vstserver works beautifully for the Native Instruments B4 and the
> > >Steinberg EP, but The Grand gets close and then wine starts
> > >complaining.
> >
> > OT, but have you tried B4 with the FST library?
>
> Compatibility regarding running vst-plugins is allways related to wine,
> not whether you use vstserver or the FST library (at least if we
> assume that both vstserver and the FST library are bugfree :).

Of course they are ;-)

> The big question is: Which version of wine are you using?
> If you are still using the 9.12.2003 version of wine, which I reccomend
> for use with (or at least when compiling) the vstserver, you can try
> to upgrade to the latest version. (But you _must not_ recompile the
> vstserver afterwards!) There are some chances plugins that didn't work
> earlier will work after a wine upgrade.

I'm using the wine that you recommend (that is offered for download
alongside vstserver & vsti).  Unfortunately upgrading to a newer wine
causes a different problem.

I don't suppose there's any way of running vstis without starting their
GUIs ?  I'm wondering because I get "TheGrand started" and then wine dies,
so I suspect the audio stuff might work were it not for the GUI failing.

Thanks for all your work with this stuff, the sight of the B4 organ window
appearing in Linux (and then playing ;-) is still the biggest "wow!" I've
had for a while.

Cheers

Carl