[linux-audio-user] Re: Any instructions about for running a Win VSTi under vstserver (Mark Knecht)

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Thu May 27 13:11:35 EDT 2004

Mark Knecht:
> Dave,
>     Thanks for the encouragement. Just back from lunch and trying out
> Chris's suggestions about vsti as it looked simple, but so far no luck.
> That's for another thread later today if I cannot get it working myself.
>
>     One question about all of this. It appears that if I run vstserver
> it attempts to start EVERY VST (or even every file!) in my vst
> directory?! Is this correct?

Yes, but only once. It caches the information about the plugins parameters
and such. Just let it run. If it seems to hang, Ctrl-C it, and start
vstserver once more.

>     My version of Snd does appear to have the LADSPA 1.1 stuff built in
> so possibly your example will work for me when I find a VSTi I can trust...

Thats not much point. You can't send midisignals to vst-plugins from SND.

James Stone:

> > How does that work?  The "accessibility from seq24" bit, I mean.
> > Preferably in terms that make sense to someone who's only passingly
> > familiar with either seq24 or pd.
>
> seq24 will not start if vsti is running!

What? I don't have my linux-machine here so I can't test that. But it
sounds very strange that you can't start seq24 if a vsti is running.

What happens? Is there any messages to the console?

Can you start seq24 if jack-rack is running? (the midi code in vsti is
stolen from jack-rack)

I'm sure either/both Rob C. Buse (author of seq24) and/or myself are
interested in some bug-reports here.