[linux-audio-user] Re: Any instructions about for running a Win VSTi under vstserver (Mark Knecht)

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Thu May 27 13:21:44 EDT 2004

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen wrote:
> Mark Knecht:
>
>>Dave,
>>    Thanks for the encouragement. Just back from lunch and trying out
>>Chris's suggestions about vsti as it looked simple, but so far no luck.
>>That's for another thread later today if I cannot get it working myself.
>>
>>    One question about all of this. It appears that if I run vstserver
>>it attempts to start EVERY VST (or even every file!) in my vst
>>directory?! Is this correct?
>

> Yes, but only once. It caches the information about the plugins parameters
> and such. Just let it run. If it seems to hang, Ctrl-C it, and start
> vstserver once more.

But it seemed to be complaining about lots of stuff. That doesn't make
me feel comfortable about debugging problems. If I try a new VSTi
(Groove Agent for instance) and it doesn't work, how do I know whether
it's caused by some of these messages?

A better solution (for me anyway) was to do this:

1) Putting each VST in it's own directory
2) Starting vstserver using an empty directory as the exported path.
3) Starting vsti and using a relative path from the empty directory that
vstserver is using

vsti ../VSTi/SIR-Reverb/SIR_086.dll

This worked nicely with Jack. The sound was fine. The VSTi ports were
visible in QJackCtl.

Enhancement request. Please consider adding some method for connecting
the VSTi's ports from the vsti command line. Right now I have to sit for
5 minutes hooking stuff up. Since things don't always work right in
Linux audio if I have to kill it then I have to do 5 more minutes of
hookup when I restart it.

Thanks thought. vsti works nicely as far as I've tried it.