[linux-audio-user] Ardour, Jack, and 2.6 kernels

cv223 at comcast.net cv223 at comcast.net
Thu May 27 13:16:21 EDT 2004

So, based on Fernando's and Malcolm's advice, I decided to quit fussing with the 2.6 kernels and stick with the 2.4.23 that I have working to do some recording last night.  The band came over - we were set and ready to go.  I hit 'record' to get an idea of the drum mix (we're submixing to stereo) - 3 seconds in, Ardour stops with an 80ms xrun!  Arrgh!  I sweated through the rest of the evening, fearing another occurence at 3:30 into a 4:00 song.  Fortunately, everything went ok.

I guess I'm back to trying to figure out what's causing these long xruns, now under the 2.4.23 kernel.

Do most people shut off non-essential daemons during recording sessions, or do any other tricks?  This is kinda frustrating, as the CPU load seems rather low (< 15% when the xrun happened).  I guess I'll test out reiserfs and even ext2 to see if the filesystem is the culprit.

Thanks for reading the ramble,

Joel