[linux-audio-user] rosegarden starts artsd [was: Ardour, Jack, and 2.6 kernels]

Artem Baguinski artm at v2.nl
Fri May 28 12:41:57 EDT 2004

    Chris> On Friday 28 May 2004 3:12 pm, Artem Baguinski wrote:
    >> i never use kde but i have bits and pieces of it for the sake
    >> of many KDE dependant applications. one of such applications is
    >> Rosegarden, every time i launch it i have several kde utilites
    >> running including unsolicited artsd.

    Chris> Hm.  Rosegarden shouldn't be starting artsd, and it doesn't
    Chris> do so when I run it in a non-KDE environment here.  (In
    Chris> fact I've always thought of that as an advantage of not
    Chris> running KDE -- things like Rosegarden don't have to contend
    Chris> with unwanted stuff like aRts.)  So I'm not sure what's up
    Chris> there.

    that's weird... but since you have used KDE, may be you've ticked
    some "dont use arts" at some point?

    i notice that arts starts when rosegarden shows some warning or
    info dialogs, i guess to play the accompanying the dialog
    sound. if don't run something using sound card (like timidity, or
    jackd or both) i even hear the sounds. so may be if i had KDE i
    would switch "system sounds" or something like that off. may be
    somebody knows how can i do *that* "manually"?

    Chris> Still, I think the easiest way to guarantee artsd never
    Chris> runs at all is to delete it, or at least rename the binary
    Chris> to something else.  I have occasionally done that when
    Chris> annoyed with KDE for starting it with the new KDE session.

    that sounds like a good idea, thanks

--
gr{oe|ee}t{en|ings}
artm