[linux-audio-user] wav to mp3 converter

Jos Laake jos at radiks.net
Sun May 30 03:58:22 EDT 2004

R Parker wrote:
> Hi Jos,
>
> I use lame. From my script:
> elif [ "$extension" =  wav ]; then
>             echo "Converting $i to ${i%.*}.mp3 be
> patient!"
>             lame -h $i ${i%.*}.mp3
>       else

Okay, cool!  Lame is gonna do the trick.  I did a few
trial conversions using a command line similar to what
you used and I'm getting a really good compression rate
and totally acceptable quality.  Bravo!

> If you want the script, I'll send it to you.

Please! :-)

> It's not
> that great because it's partially a learning
> experiment and builds an array from the contents of a
> directory--not necesarry but you can strip the array
> code out. It also assumes the directory structure
> ~/clients/clientname/wav, ~/clients/clientname/mp3,
> etc.

I hate scripting.  I'll be happy to start with whatever
you can send me.  I'd much rather hack a script that I
can kinda understand already than try to do it from
scratch.

> At any rate, Lame produces mp3 files. I use it for
> that although I've never listened to one. :)

I listened to the files I made.  Yup, it works jes fine!

Thank you!
~Jos~